|Rocky Canyon & Halcon Rds. - Atascadero Trailhead - Thursday, December 12, 2013|
|Rocky Canyon & Halcon Rds. - Atascadero - San Luis Obispo County|
Take Hwy 101 north from LA, or south from S.F. to Atascadero, mid way between the two metropoli about 220 miles from both. Turn off Hwy 101 at Santa Barbara Rd. exit; go east to El Camino Real; cross over and continue one block to Viejo Camino. Turn left, drive ½ to ¾ miles to Paloma Creek Park parking, and park. There are playing fields and restrooms. Ride back half block to Halcon Rd, and at left only, turn; go to RR, cross over, then over dirt river road (if not washed out) up to quarry gate. You may pass through the right side for bicyles, if gate is closed, continuing up dirt road through quarry, and beyond to narrow mountain trail. Go up and over and continue on mountaintop trails. You will enjoy the views, and the native flora & fauna, and wild life. If you wish you can continue on into the country with road bikes. Or, just before the quarry gate, turn onto Rocky Canyon Rd. for a touring bike ride along the Templeton River Rd, and on into the country over Hwy 41 to Creston and beyond. There are eating facilities, a nice old western rest stop in Creston. You may ride Hwys 41 & 229 out of Creston for a nice wild flower tour, after all the winter rains, for a fragrant springtime show of scents and colorful California flowers. After bike rides, you may return the same way, back down the mountain trail through the quarry and across the dirt river road, or the Hwy 41 downhill to Templeton and Rocky Canyon Rds to the dirt river Halcon Rd., across RR, to paved Halcon Rd., and Paloma Creek Park on Viejo Camino Rd., south to Santa Barbara Rd, and right turn; cross over El Camino Real to Hwy 101 back over west, about two country blocks.
PS 4/24/98 The Salinas River is low enough after the rains to cross over the rebuilt dirt gravel-rock truck road.
GPS: Latitude: Longitude: Elevation:
|Click on one of the tabs above or icons below to get all the details about this trailhead.|
Trailhead Updates, Conditions & Notes
- Here you will find out all about this trailhead. trail conditions, trail updates, trail messageboard.
Trailhead Routes & Trails
- Here we list direction of the local trails and routes you will find at this trailhead. If you don't see your route listed, select this then click add a trail and give us all the details.
All the Dirt Stories
- Have a story about this trail, click here and give us all the details. Tell us all about it and even add your photos, we make it easy. Add pics to the Trail Photo Album, then use them in your story.
Trailhead Photo Album
- Here is a Photo Album for this Trailhead. If you have pictures of this trail, click here to add as many as you want.
- Click here to return to the Trailhead Listing.